A well designed Rain Cap is very important for preventing water damage as well as keeping birds, raccoons, squirrels and their resulting mess out. Without adequate Rain Caps, a number of problems happen.
- The chimney crown absorbs more water promoting cracks and breakage.
- Flue tiles are unprotected and water/frost spall, crack and break them, the same as any other masonry.
- Rain and snow enter the chimney in large quantities, soaking everything right to the foundation. In addition to masonry deterioration, this causes mold and potentially structural damage to the house.
- Animals nest and live in the chimney and fireplace resulting in additional mess and damage.
- A poorly designed Rain Cap can actually trap ice around the top flue tile resulting in cracked tiles from frost.
We install well-designed Rain Caps that;
Provide Large Coverage
Protect the Flue Tile
Bolt to the flue tile corners
Keep Birds and Animals Out
Allow Proper Draft
Easy Cleaning Access
We love making chimneys happy again. Drag the yellow box below the image to see how we make an un-happy chimney happy again.